Friday, June 18, 2010

HBA Home Tour 2010, Part 3

Took some time off to complete other projects, but am back for the final installment of the trio home tour!


The third home on my little jaunt was definitely the most interesting for me. It all started off with what I termed as "the parking nightmare." To explain, this home was built at the top of a cul-de-sac and the road in front was never made for much more than a rickshaw to pass through. So, add all the other homes that line the cul-de-sac and the traffic that is generated by a home tour and you have a problem on your hands. After some magnificent maneuvering on my part, along with discoveries of just how efficient the turn radius of my car could be, I finally settled with my car headed downwards on this little hilly portion of the road/drive/path. Then came the next challenge -- which way was I supposed to turn my front wheels so that if by stroke of bad luck my car was to start moving, it wouldn't wander down the hill without me? Afraid I was going to miss the close of the tour if I took too much more time with the initial parking aspect of this whole thing, I left my wheels in the position they were in, had a stern talk with Mr. Car that it was to stay put or I would ignore it's next wish for an oil change, and trudged up the hill to the house.
First, before we talk about the house, I have to show you the staple of any good home tour (aside from free food give-aways) -- the Bucket of Booties. These classy items can be worn with or without shoes and give everyone the appearance that you will soon be performing an operation of some sort. Maybe that's why many people on home tours resist making eye contact and instead appear to take great interest in door hinges or wall texture designs when you pass by -- they are fearing the potential that you might whip out a pair of forceps with a longing look in your eyes. Who knows! What's also interesting about these booties is that unless you spend copious amounts of time sizing them up while everyone waiting behind you shifts their weight from one foot to the other in impatience, it's nearly impossible to get two of the same size. I usually end up with one child-sized foot and another foot with a weird, floppy growth off the back. Oh well, better that than getting yelled at by the bootie police when I step inside the home.


Yes, I promise we are getting to the actual house...




Weighing in at 5,500 square feet, this Mediterranean stye home by Stone Custom Homes & Remodeling is priced at $899,900. With 6 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms, there is plenty of room to move around as well as plenty of areas to clean! I realize that much of the furniture was only used for staging, but it was absolutely gorgeous! Dark woods and heavy, ornate carvings abounded and if I had a larger house, I would LOVE to accommodate some of these pieces.




Here are a couple of shots of the kitchen and living room. I want that couch. :)


Check out the bed in the master bedroom! I also loved the stand-alone sinks found in most of the bathrooms.
























Now, before you start to think everything was completely normal in this house, check out this bedroom...completely designed after the Chronicles of Narnia. I always knew that Turkish delight was really Applets & Cotlets, but I didn't dare mess up their display to confirm that theory. I was glad to see that while laying in bed, your head could be protected from mosquito bites; however, the rest of your body would most likely suffer. And to top everything off, the famous lamp post was found in the closet, although I tried to walk past it into the magical land of Narnia and kept running into a shelf. Stupid thing. Obviously I need to brush up on my wardrobe cruising skills.






















This bathroom was truly unique. That's a mirror with 3-D iron "shutters" over the bathtub. I think the intent was to enlarge the look of the rather small room, but all I could come up with was 1) you could pop up out of the tub and scare yourself silly or 2) while relaxing in the tub, you could check the status of the toilet seat lid by looking either left or right.


Here are a couple more "curious" pictures. You can't see it very well with the waning light, but along the back out of the property there is an inset in the wall with a cross in the center. Not quite sure what that is all about. Is it part of many Mediterranean-stype homes? I also realize that it is important to stage garages along with the rest of the house, but did the designers ever think of going with an automotive or storage theme? No! Why not make it look like a secret meeting place for monks. Yeah...that's the first thing I'd think of too.


So, minus a few quirks, this house was by far the best of my small portion of the home tour. It would comfortably hold a large family inside, but I think the main downside is the lack of space outside (well, unless you want to stand in the barkdust and stare at the odd inset-thingie). I'm sure that would be a big hit for kids. Another thing...here you have almost a million dollar house, but all of your neighbors...uhhh...don't. You have beautiful, dark woods, lush carpets, carefully crafted stone, and your next door neighbor has.....



2 comments:

  1. You're funny!

    I do like some aspects of the exterior of that house--I like that style. And nice kitchen. And weird other stuff. That photo with the toilet looked like a toilet in a little caged room at first glance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember when you wrote in this? :)

    ReplyDelete